Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bossypants

I'm going to commit heresy here, but I didn't like Tina Fey's book as much as everyone else seems to have. Don't get me wrong, I think Tina Fey is brilliant and funny and beautiful, and I'd want to be her when I grow up, except for the fact that I'm older than she is, which is depressing.

But the whole early section was just a little too self-deprecating for my taste. I mean, we were children of the 80s. Of course we had really, really bad taste in hair and music and men. It's what defines our generation. I got tired of reading about just how awkward she was and how badly she dressed and how awful her so-called dates were.

I perked up a lot, though during the sections about her life at SNL and on 30 Rock and her inspired partnership with Amy Poehler, another one of my favorites even though I don't watch Parks and Rec.

Her prayer for her daughter was funny, but her responses to hate mail felt forced and overdone. I guess that's how I felt about most of the book - it felt forced and overdone, like she was trying too hard.

No comments: