Saturday, January 9, 2010

love stories in this town

my friend gave me this book, by amanda eyre ward, for my birthday. it's received a lot of press here because ward lives in austin.

i've never really been a fan of the short story as a whole, and this book didn't do much to change that. the stories, most of which are set just after 9/11 revolved around the loss of loved ones and coping with life and love in the wake of the attacks.

perhaps it was the frame of mind i was in when i read the stories several months ago, but i found them too sad for my liking. ward is an excellent writer, but i felt worse after reading the collection. ward has published several other books, and i liked her writing enough that i may give those a look, just to see if the stories are less sad.

*i'm writing in lower case because my keyboard is broken. the shift key is on the fritz.

1 comment:

Mouthy Housewife said...

I really didn't like her book that took place in South Africa. Good writing, bad plotting