Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Things I Learned from Knitting (Whether I Wanted to or Not)

I picked up Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's new book with some birthday money. It's such a slight little thing that I'm not even sure I should count it as a real book for my reading tally. It's a little collection of essays on the lessons McPhee, aka the Yarn Harlot, has learned from her years of knitting. Since I'm still relatively new to this whole knitting gig - less than a year of sock making - I still haven't learned many of the ones she lists.

But like the Yarn Harlot, I have learned that knitting teaches you patience. Knitting is the only thing in my life right now that makes me sit still and be calm. I've knitted myself out of looming panic attacks and survived interminable waits at airports thanks to knitting. I'm glad I got started on it again, and at this point, I don't see myself giving it up any time soon.

No comments: